Mom2MemphisandRuby
FlashbackFriday
Chubby Cheeks Thinks
Photobucket
I Heart Pears
Powered by Blogger.
free counters

Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 17, 2012

A New Meaning to "Father's Day"

     For most of my life the only people that I could tell Happy Father's Day was my Paw-Paw, my mom's dad, and my Uncle Mike, my mom's brother. Those two men helped to mold me and make me into the person I am and without them I don't know where I would be today.....

     Paw-Paw taught me to ride a bike, bought me roller skates, and bless his heart, even taught me to drive. He was the person that I could always get advice from and help with my math homework. He worked for TVA and I will never forget the very first time he took me to school. I was starting high school and he retired that same year and I thought that I was something with Paw-Paw taking me instead of Momma or Maw-Maw. 
      Now, my Uncle Mike, well he was the coolest uncle ever! I was really too little to remember but I know he used to ride me on his motorcycle and then when I was older he would take me to a little store on Frankfort Road close to Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw's house and we would get an RC cola and he would get a Dr. Pepper. I always told him they tasted like medicine. I never acquired a taste for a Dr. Pepper. I really thought I was big stuff to get to do things with him. 
     So for 41 years of my life, these were the 2 men that I thought of on Father's day.  The very first time I wished my own Father a Happy Father's Day was 2011. I had met him the week prior so it was really awkward. Matter of fact, I didn't call him, I bought a card and altered it to make it fit the time and situation. I even wrote a couple of poems to go in it.  I used to write often and haven't in years, but since our reunion, the juices have started flowing again. 
     Now this Father's Day, I am really sad that I didn't get to be with him on his special day but of course we talked as we do everyday. I am so thankful that God brought us back together at just the right time. His timing is the ONLY right time. God knew when I would be prepared to have my daddy in my life and He planned it just right. At 41 I became a daddy's girl and I am enjoying every single day of it. Do I hate that I missed so many years with him? Sure I do, but I was younger and not willing to accept that there are two sides to everything. I am thankful for today for we are not promised tomorrow.
     


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love your story... It always melts my heart! So, glad y'all reunited

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thank you!! It does mine too!!

    ReplyDelete